Pages

Thursday, April 2, 2015

Welcome To The World Lucas Eli!

Zack and I welcomed our son, Lucas Eli, into the world on December 30th 2014 at 12:07 pm.  Lucas weighed 6 pounds 5 ounces and was 19.5 inches long.

During my pregnancy, from about 19 weeks on, Lucas was breech.  In the beginning my Dr. was not worried about it because the majority of babies will turn on their own before the 38th week but as the weeks went on it became pretty apparent that Lucas was happy just the way he was, his whole body squished on the right side of my belly with his head in my ribs.  My Dr. showed me a couple exercises to do to try and make him turn but said that if he didn't turn naturally that I would need to have a consultation with another Dr. to see if I was a candidate for external version (they turn the baby from the outside) and if I wasn't then we would need to talk about a C-Section.  So I did the exercises and I talked to Zack about it and I prayed about it, but I just had a gut feeling that he was not going to turn, and I just knew that there was a reason that he wasn't turning and I was weirdly fine with it. So my 38 week Dr. appointment rolled around and baby boy still had not turned, so I went to the external version consultation and found out that with the way the baby's spine was positioned, I was not a candidate.  I was not at all surprised, and I was honestly relieved.  I never thought I would have to have a C-Section, but it kind of took the anxiety out of everything, up until this point I was on edge waiting for baby to turn and I could finally stop worrying about it.  We scheduled our C-Section that day for December 30th at 11 am.  

The morning of our C-Section we had to be at the hospital at 9 am.  We got there, got checked into a room and they hooked me up to monitors and started my IV fluids.  Zack and I just hung out and talked and watched the monitors, I actually had quite a few contractions, they were very small but it was cool to see them on the monitor.  At a little after 11 am my Dr. came in to check on us and let us know that we were going to get started.  They gave Zack his paper scrubs to put on and took me back to OR to get my spinal placed and get everything ready to go. 



 A lot of people told me that getting the spinal was pretty painful but I really didn't think so, my anesthesiologist was amazing and described how it would feel and and talked to me while she placed it.  A few minutes later they let Zack come back and I just started talking because I was so nervous.  I could hear the Dr talking so I knew they had started, and before I even had a chance to think about what was going on they had Lucas out.  The nurses called Zack over to take pictures and trim the cord, I asked Zack what he looked like and he said he had red hair looked like his grandpa.  A few minutes later they brought him over to me and let me hold him on my chest while they finished closing me up.   He was absolutely perfect and healthy!  He was so cute and just snuggled right in, I held him all through recovery and kept him as they rolled me into our room.  The hospital staff was so wonderful about not taking him away to the nursery, that was one of the only things I requested, that he stay with me the whole time as long as he was healthy and didn't need any medical help.




Throughout the rest of the day we had family and friends come and visit and we snuggled in bed and enjoyed our new little Lucas.  I really had a wonderful C-Section experience, everything went so smoothly and I was up and walking that night.  Zack and I were so happy to finally have him here, it didn't even feel real, we could not stop staring at him, our Lucas was perfect.



Getting ready to go home!  He looks so tiny in his car seat!

A couple weeks after Luke was born we took him in to Narrow Road Productions to get his newborn pictures taken.  It is so fun to watch the photographers pose tiny babies,  Luke slept through the majority of the shoot.

 Taken by Jaden at Narrow Road Productions.


 Taken by Jaden at Narrow Road Productions.
I love these little jeans and his tiny smile in this picture!


Taken by Jaden at Narrow Road Productions.
My sister made this wood bowl out of a giant burl, it turned out being an amazing prop for pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment